Dependant medical

First year using Taxcycle. Prepared return for child (income less than $15,000) and parents. Child has about $500 in medical that can be transferred to parents to claim but I can’t figure out to make that happen. I have entered on the child’s return. How do I get it to transfer to the parents’ medical (yes they have enough to make the transfer worthwhile)?

You should be able to enter it directly on the parent’s if the child is listed/linked as a dependant?

Does Taxcycle not pull it across? I’m thinking about a case where a dependant can use part but not all of their medical so only a portion can be transferred. It should be recorded under medical expenses for other dependants but I can’t enter anything there.

You will have to add the child to the parent’s tax return as a dependant in order for the parents to claim any medical expenses for this child. Since you’ve already created a separate return for the child, you can couple the returns together.

Click on the Add Dependant which gives you the option of opening an existing return to couple.

The parent should now be able to claim the child’s medical or a portion thereof.

Hope this helps.

Enter on principal taxpayer medical
The drop down lets you pick all taxpayers that are dependent/linked

Personally i find it very useful for those parents who provide the family medical for all members as it is covered on their plan.

Of course, sometimes i have to input directly on taxpayer for adult child no longer dependent… which yes is annoying.

The child’s return is added to the parents. If I record the medical on the child, it does not pull across to the parents. If I try to record on parents, it will not let me enter it in the medical expenses for other dependants (it becomes an override). How do you get the medical to pull to that section?

Are you entering it where you would enter the parent?

This is the correct location to enter all the medical details

As in

It will automatically populate into the section below:

Yes I am but it should pull down to the bottom in order to calculate properly taking into account dependants net income

If you put the dependant’s name on the line it will do it all automatically. You may need to have an attached return for it to figure out the income to do the 3% clawback.

Thanks. I will try that tomorrow when I’m back at work.

So the medical is entered in the medical expense entry table (the top table on the form) as per racelavryl’s picture but it will not automatically populate into the section below (medical expenses for other dependants). Someone else suggestion that I could type the child’s name in the lower section and it would pull everything across but input is not allowed in the name of dependant section and all the other boxes are pulling from somewhere (input causes override). The returns are all linked together (saved in the same file).

Note that if the child is under 18 they are not an other dependent and they are subject to the parent’s 3% floor and not their own. That is the only reason I can think of that this might not be working the way you think it should. If this is an adult child (ie in university) it should work and you likely need to email the TaxCycle help dept (they respond really quick) and ask them why it is not working and provide the data file so they can see what you have typed in. I usually delete out SIN’s and change names to testing or something before sending files.

They have to be dependent…in the dependent section

Rachel Parlee
(506) 874-3093

Really… I always thought that if they were filing (regardless of under 18), the medical had to go on the child’s first and the remainder is transferred to the parent. What if the child is under 18 and income is such that they owe income tax? Does it still all go on the parent?

Yes, the parent may claim the medical so as long as the child is a dependent, regardless of their tax status.

Best to call TaxCycle support directly - they are very helpful, and can talk you through it as you do it. Most of us here on this forum are TaxCycle USERS, and we know how it works, but it’s seems to be difficult to communicate that to you fully and completely.

1 Like

I apologize for my ignorance in how to use the program. As I indicated this is my first year using Taxcycle. My original post was on Sunday when support was closed. I was only trying to get an answer faster in order to finish up the return.

No apologies required on this forum… we were all new at some point !

Support can also take control of your screen and show you what you are missing.

The online video tutorials are extremely useful. If you persevere you will soon be dishing out advice along with the rest of us :blush:

Have a happy and safe tax season.