Deferral of Sales Tax Remittance and Customs Duty Payments

Announced today:

We will allow businesses, including self-employed individuals, to defer until June 30, 2020 payments of the Goods and Services Tax / Harmonized Sales Tax (GST/HST), as well as customs duties owing on their imports.
The deferral will apply to GST/HST remittances for the February, March and April 2020 reporting periods for monthly filers; the January 1, 2020 through March 31, 2020 reporting period for quarterly filers; and for annual filers, the amounts collected and owing for their previous fiscal year and instalments of GST/HST in respect of the filer’s current fiscal year.
For GST and customs duty payments for imported goods, deferral will include amounts owing for March, April and May.
These amounts were normally due to be submitted to the Canada Revenue Agency and the Canada Border Services Agency as early as the end of this month.

Do we know if the filing dates have been extended? (i.e. no penalty for late filing a 2019 annual HST return due Mar.31,2020)

So, yes, according to the above.

They don’t seem to have said anything yet about extending filing dates, so for the moment we have to assume that no, filing dates have not been extended.
Perhaps they will change things later, but 31 March deadline is coming up fast…

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/news/2020/03/additional-support-for-canadian-businesses-from-the-economic-impact-of-covid-19.html

they are extended to June 30th

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/campaigns/covid-19-update/covid-19-filing-payment-dates.html

Filing deadlines jave not changed, only payments due date have changed for businesses.

wrong, read my post and attachment above

Bert is right. In fact little if any reference to the non-corporate business filing date which was/is June 15…and no change so we believe. Remember what Morneau thinks about the crooked small busineses in Canada!

…sent to you by J D Burns Ag Tax Accountant;
(705) 876-6371

Sorry Bert, I see nothing in your attachment/link that refers to deferral of GST filing.

I stand corrected, there was no reference to the Excise Tax Act, so the deadline stands…

ok…Thanks, I thought I was missing something.