CDA Elections - Portal Submissions?

Has CRA figured things out so that we as preparers can upload CDA submissions through Represent A Client now?

Or are we still stuck paper-filing and mailing the submission packages to PEI?

CRA is working on offering electronic submission options for certain Special Elections and Forms and we will include approved transmissions in TaxCycle as they are made available. In the meantime it looks like you may be able to submit some of these through Represent a Client in the interim.

Not to mention waiting 1.5-2.5 years to get acknowledgement

Electronic submission is great for proving that CRA got the election. However, it does nothing to change the ridiculous time taken by CRA to review them. I’ve done five capital dividend elections in the past couple years. Each one took CRA over a year to review the election.

The last T2062 clearance certificate request was uploaded in mid July 2022. I called last week and no one has even been assigned to it yet. I was, though, able to provide them with confirmation that they received it back then. That is the part of this I really like.

I’ve done 2 of them in the last 2 months via RAC. These are the first ones I’ve submitted electronically, so I’m considering it a test…hoping they process faster, and all goes well. I also sent one via paper the other day which required a payment for the late filing penalty - not sure how or where to pay that electronically, so I figured it was best to do it the old way.

This can be done online now. I did one today. Its in a weird spot in RAC - submit documents, no case number, and then: “Submit Docs related to SERS”

You’ll then get: the following:

• T2054 Election for a Capital Dividend Under Subsection 83(2)
  • Schedule 089 Request for Capital Dividend Account Balance Verification
  • Special Election or Return form or supporting documentation

Thanks CRA for letting everyone know and making it really obvious. :roll_eyes:

1 Like