TaxCycle | Products | Pricing | Training | Documentation | Support | News

Arithmetic in templates

I am trying to add a section to our client letter to deal with over contributions to RRSPs. I can’t find a field in TaxCycle that shows the RRSP limit plus the additional $2,000 over-contribution grace amount. I only want the section to show if the accumulated contributions exceed the limit plus $2,000. So I need to do a bit of arithmetic in the template editor.

What is the correct syntax for adding a number to a numeric field?

For example:
I want to add 2,000 to {{CurrentClient.RRSPContributions.PriorYearRRSPLimit.M[10]}}

Can it be done?

I tried
{{CurrentClient.RRSPContributions.PriorYearRRSPLimit.M[10]+2000}}
and
{{sum(CurrentClient.RRSPContributions.PriorYearRRSPLimit.M[10],2000)}}
but had no luck…

The condition I am looking for would be something like:
{{# CurrentClient.RRSPContributions.ClientRRSP.M[6] > CurrentClient.RRSPContributions.PriorYearRRSPLimit.M[10]+2000}}

This should work to get the number, you just need spaces around the plus sign, like this:

{{CurrentClient.RRSPContributions.PriorYearRRSPLimit.M[10] + 2000}}

So, that’s the starting point for your condition. Of course, if you want that to format like a number, I would add the following.

{{format(CurrentClient.RRSPContributions.PriorYearRRSPLimit.M[10] + 2000)}}

Onto the second part now…

Once you have that with the spaces, it worked for me:

{{# CurrentClient.RRSPContributions.ClientRRSP.M[6] > CurrentClient.RRSPContributions.PriorYearRRSPLimit.M[10] + 2000}}
Show this sentence if condition is matched
{{/end}}

It also find sometimes it can help to put brackets around each section of the condition, especially if there is a calculation. You don’t always need them to make it work, but just in case it can help to tell the processor what belongs together:

{{# CurrentClient.RRSPContributions.ClientRRSP.M[6] >   (CurrentClient.RRSPContributions.PriorYearRRSPLimit.M[10] + 2000)}}
Show this sentence if condition is matched
{{/end}}

Tada!

Thanks @Elizabeth! I both love it and hate it when the answer is as simple as spaces. (I really need to stop trying to do these things at the end of the day!)

In the spirit of sharing, below is what I cam up with. This would replace the last part of the RRSP section of the standard client letter and provides a bit more detail. The intent is to test to determine if there was an over contribution ion the tax year being prepared by looking at total contributions, excluding those in the first 60 days of the next tax year and comparing that to the tax year limit plus $2,000. If there is an over contribution, the client is warned that they he/she may be subject to a penalty.

The next paragraph looks at the limit for the next tax year and the contributions already made. If the contributions made exceed the next year’s limit plus $2,000, the client is advised to arrange a minimum refund of contributions of the amount subject to penalties.

Feel free to use, amend wording, etc. etc. If you find an error in my logic, please let me know!! (You might want to copy and paste to Notepad for easier reading.)

{{# (CurrentClient.RRSPContributions.ClientRRSP.M[6] - CurrentClient.RRSPContributions.TotalsClient.M[3]) > (CurrentClient.RRSPContributions.PriorYearRRSPLimit.M[10] + 2000)}}
RRSP over contribution
According to our records you have contributed more than permitted to your RRSP at the end of {{Constants.CurrentTaxationYear}}. As a result you may be subject to penalties on the over contribution.
{{# (CurrentClient.RRSPFutureDeductionLimit.FutureYearRRSPLimit.M[15] + 2000) < CurrentClient.RRSPFutureDeductionLimit.FutureYearRRSPLimit.M[14]}}You are permitted an over contribution of 2,000. Our records indicate your total over contribution is {{format (CurrentClient.RRSPFutureDeductionLimit.FutureYearRRSPLimit.M[14] - CurrentClient.RRSPFutureDeductionLimit.FutureYearRRSPLimit.M[15])}}, so you should arrange a refund of contributions for at least ${{format (CurrentClient.RRSPFutureDeductionLimit.FutureYearRRSPLimit.M[14] - CurrentClient.RRSPFutureDeductionLimit.FutureYearRRSPLimit.M[15] - 2000)}}.
{{/end}}{{/end}}

@Matthew

In the spirit of requesting a refund of contributions we are adding the T3012 form to the T1 so you can complete the application directly in TaxCycle T1. It’s coming in the next week or two when we remove the preview from the Multiple Jurisdiction forms.

1 Like