Visitor visa changing to work visa

This is a new one for me. A foreigner gets a visitors visa, obtains a work visa and gets a job. What forms are used to do his taxes for the last two years. He did have income in the old country before coming to Canada.

Whilst permissions in a travel Visa may be interesting, it is not primarily what needs to be looked at for tax purposes/ tax residency.

A work-up on this individual’s entire situation needs to be done, including copies of the tax returns that he filed in the other country, other legal documentation, and how that all relates to the relevant tax treaty, if any. Including dates, residential matters, family matters.

What truth or lies did he tell his Bank? His employer? What slips or withholdings did they make/issue based on hearsay or valid documentation or just guesses?

1 Like

Not everyone is a crook. Assuming everything is legitimate, what forms are used? I will then go deeper in the matter.

1 Like

The steps outlined are the steps the tax preparer accepting this file would need to do, regardless.

For all we know at the moment, the individual could be Pince Harry.

I’m not giving up on trying to find the forms to use. Hopefully someone else knows. Searches on the CRA website have not turned up an answer. Is he a deemed resident or would he be treated as a non resident. So many questions, so few answers. I doubt he is Prince Harry - worked as a farm hand. Knowing what forms to use would point in the proper direction to investigate.

And properly investigating may eventually point to “forms”, amongst other things, which in turn, may lead to next steps, and other forms and reporting.

Whether its Prince Harry working as a farm hand or not, that is still insufficient case data… Did he divorce his wife? Are his kids in some colony? Is he still receiving money from the firm? Does he still have close ties to his brother?

This could help Income Tax Folio S5-F1-C1, Determining an Individual’s Residence Status - Canada.ca

It’s Income Tax Folio S5-F1-C1, Determining an Individual’s Residence Status

Thank you so much. A great help

Norman