TicTie Calculate - Adobe Acrobat Add-on

TicTie Calculate by cPaperless, is the plugin that makes Acrobat accounting friendly and allows you to easily prepare paperless workpapers from scanned PDF files. In 2018, More Than 6 Million Electronic Workpapers Were Prepared and Reviewed Using TicTie Calculate™ (TTC). TTC is Currently Licensed to Over 30,000 Accountants in More Than 3,500 Public and Private Accounting Groups.

TicTie Calculate Overview
https://www.drakesoftware.com/products/tictie-calculate/

DEMO

Get 10% Discount. Discount code expires on July 31, 2019 FIREWORKS10

TicTie Calculate™ makes Acrobat accounting friendly and allows you to easily prepare paperless workpapers from scanned PDF files.

REVIEWS + OVERVIEW

https://www.cpapracticeadvisor.com/directory/document-management/product/10155194/cpaperless-llc-tic-tie-calculatestrong text
https://www.proformative.com/products/tic-tie-calculate-ttc-reviews

https://www.cpapracticeadvisor.com/directory/document-management/product/10155194/cpaperless-llc-tic-tie-calculate

I used this add-on for about a year a few years ago. I don’t recall everything but I stopped using it when I started using DoxCycle more. One thing I remember is that I tried to create T1 working paper documents with it but found it difficult to add documents after-the-fact and have them properly bookmarked.

I have created a number of custom stamps in Adobe DC that help me document working papers for financial statement engagements. For preparing 1040’s, it seemed like a valuable add-on. I just found that DoxCycle’s enhancements over the years eclipsed TTC’s usefulness in a T1 situation.

I previously kicked CCH PDFlyer to the curb for the same reason, is that I use Doxcycle. Have created a number of custom stamps in Doxcycle that help me document working papers, and also have created a large amount of customization in Doxcycle to build working paper files for just about any time of engagement.

@kevin
@BertMulderCGA

Thank you for investing the time to share your experiences, findings, and best practices. Much appreciated.

I will follow-up next week to configure, test, and learn DoxCycle more fully.

Personally, I use calc tape for more complex calculations.

https://calctape.app/

After performing the calculations, I copy the tape into either a memo on a taxcycle field or into a memo on a DoxCycle file. In either case, I have the calculations in my documents to show how I determined the numbers. (Calc tape allows you to comment the calculations.)

@TimParris

CalcTape
I love calctape. I have been printing these tapes to PDF and adding to my client documentation set. I had not thought of copy and pasting it into the memo field.

TaxCycle Tape
I do not love the tape in TaxCyle. I have trouble getting multiple calcs to process correctly. It took me years to get ProFile’s tape function to work well. So far the TaxCycle tape function and I are not getting along well.

DoxCycle
I really like the idea of having the source document or lead sheet include a comments and tapes. I will test and work with DoxCycle to see how I can use the features and functions to add memos, tapes, and tick marks.

I rarely use it. I use windows calculator or Excel

I also use CalcTape and find it easily copies into a PDF file. The commenting is easy to use and invaluable when looking back at your calculations later. You can dock the CalcTape to the side of your screen which makes it easy to use while working in other programs.

I find the TaxCycle tape good to use for simple calculations on T1 fields. It took some time to figure it out but if you spend some time with it, it’s not too bad. A bit clunky.

I’m curious to know if CalcTape or TicTieCalculate is compatible with pdf software other than Adobe’s Acrobat.
I’ve used pdflyer and TicTie in the past but only with Acrobat.
On another note, I find TicTie’s ability to link references a great advantage over pdflyer when working with longer multi-page working papers.

@cracctg

CalcTape is an independent calculator app. Very easy to use.

TicTie Calculator is an ADOBE add-on.

I have used Tic, Tie & Calculate since 2013 (2012 returns) and highly recommend it. The only downside is that it only works with Adobe Acrobat which some will consider expensive as PDF solutions go, but with a little digging you can get a recent update for a reasonable price.

I should add that if you have a problem, as I did recently while switching computers, the support is astoundingly good, especially for such a modestly priced product.

I use an ancient version of “Judy’s TenKey”…light, portable, configurable and accurate in just the right way. The newer version is similar, a little more graphical, but equally useful.

I do NOT like TaxCycle’s tape as it is not “calculator-like”…one should be able to enter 123 - 30 {enter} and get 93 (positive). What one actually gets is 93 (negative). Goes against the grain for me to enter 123 + 30 - to get a result.

I use DoxCycle which seems to do a fine job of keeping PDFs in order for me, or I just put them in the accounting subdir in my client area. Easy, backed up and quick to locate.

@SmallBizGuy
#calculatorSW
Thank you :smile:

You can use Judy’s TenKey like an accountant’s 10-key adding machine, a standard calculator, or an RPN scientific calculator (see calculator syntax).

If you’ve learned to “touch-type” on a tenkey, you’ll love the optional tenkey adding machine mode, since the order you press the keys is different (e.g., 10+ 9- instead of 10-9). This is one reason so many accounting firms around the world have standardized on Judy’s TenKey .

#calculatorSW
#Judy’sApps

https://www.judysapps.com/Products.htm

Judy’s TenKey™

Judy’s CountDown™

Judy’s EstateExec™

Judy’s Conversions™

Select product for free technical support:

Judy’s TenKey™

Judy’s Conversions™

Judy’s CountDown™

If your question is not product-specific, please send email to Support@JudysApps.com.
Note that we cannot supply lost license codes.

I use DeskCalc, a Windows tape calculator and export the tape directly to my pdf application. It supports Acrobat, Foxit etc. - and is very simple to use…

I’ve tried DeskCalc and found, when I copied and pasted the tape to a PDF file, that the tape part pasted fine but there was a big empty space to the right of the tape. When I tried to re-size the tape to get rid of this unused/un-needed white space, the tape itself was reduced in size too. I just found it clumsy to use that way (which is 99% of my use of a Windows calculator).

@kevin, the trick to having the tape size match the PDF page size is to paste the copied DeskCalc tape into a Microsoft Word document, then change the Word page size to match the page size of the DeskCalc tape. Then save the Word file as a PDF, and your PDF with the DeskCalc tape will be the correct size. Using Microsoft Word adds an extra step to the process, but will give you the results you desire.

This is the first time I’ve heard of DeskCalc, so haven’t actually used it in my tax business (I typically always use Excel). However I’ve used this Word trick to resize PDF’s for many other types of documents that needed resizing. Hope this trick is helpful.

That’s quite a process to go through to paste the tape in a PDF. Thanks for outlining the process. I think I’ll keep using CalcTape. The PDF copy and paste isn’t perfect but it’s fairly easy to do. Happy New Year.