Tax Year on Donation Worksheet Printout

I have had five review letters this summer related to donations. All were till using at least two years of donations. I would love the worksheet to have the tax year to make sure I don’t get the years mixed up.

Hi Helga
Can you explain your situation a little further as i am not sure why you may have a tax year problem. Is it a donation carry forward problem or late slips from the client?

The Donations Worksheet does show 5 years of donations carried forward. It would be helpful if it also showed donees.

If you used TaxCycle for the 5 previous years, and entered the donees each year, you could simply print that worksheet for each year…

Do you report the donation date and the donation receipt number on your donation worksheet, Helga?
I use this format:

I have found that recording the date along with the receipt number has made it relatively easy to match receipts, both for a CRA review and to prevent duplication of receipts in a future year.

In the snapshot I just used, this senior citizen client insists on making multiple small donations vs one or two large donations in the year to the same charitable organization. His almost 200 individual donations total $8K+ in 2021 alone to multiple organizations, and because he’s not organized, he gives me multiple copies of the same receipt each year, and occasionally duplicate receipts from previous years. I increased my data entry charge for this client, charging him $1.00 per donation to gentle persuade him to make larger donations resulting in fewer receipts, but his brain doesn’t work that way and the pattern continues. His wife is helping ease the burden of data entry by emailing me his receipts as they arrive during the year, so that hugely helps.

With this client, I maintain an Excel spreadsheet for his donations having separate columns for date, charitable organization, receipt #, amount, and comments (M/D/Y; D/M/Y; Y/M/D). This allows me to sort on Donation Name & Date when adding new receipts, or sort on Receipt Number to verify no duplication in the current year. I record each year in a new tab so I have quick reference to the prior year’s data to validate if that year’s receipt was already claimed. For entry into TaxCycle, I have the option of recording the one entry total for the year, but because I like the import functions of TaxCycle, I’ve written a concatenate formula to concatenate Charitable Organization & Date into one cell, and I created a Data tab to extract the data for easy import into TaxCycle. It works great.

Here’s my concat formula:
ex: Date in Column A; Description in Column B
=CONCATENATE(B10," - ",TEXT(A10,“yyyy-mm-dd”))
Result: Canadian Cancer Society - 2021-01-22

I hope this is helpful.

I did that - it wasn’t too serious!

Simplest sample is a $500,00 capital gain with donation receipts from 2018 to 2021 being claimed.

I added the years manually, but would prefer it read:

2021 Charitable Donations Worksheet

and going back to 2017, the last year you can claim on the 2022 return.

Yes, but for many if my clients, page 1 is nothing but donations with carryforward allocations on page 2.

Besides, I don’t give CRA staff the credit ti figure it out. SPELL it out for them and they may get it right.

When I bring them all into a single pdf for submission, it’s easy to be using the wrong year’s list.

I have senior clients sending $10 to $25 monthly gifts to several organizations that receipt each one, plus a number with annual receipts. When I suggested quarterly or annually, she felt cash flow for her AND the organization is served better this way.

Didn’t have the heart to tell her a $10 gift may cost more to process than she paid. The staff cost, paper and postage alone could consume most if not all.