T1M question

So Can a person who moves from another country to come work in Canada use the moving expense credit? He did move her and started a job the next day. His wife and children came 2 months later. So I cannot do a moving expense for them. Also, how do you enter the distance when flying from one country to another one if this can be done?

Thank you in advance

It first depends on their residency and if they are a deemed or factual resident of Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/line-21900-moving-expenses/you-claim-moving-expenses-6.html

You would use the airfare cost for the moving expense, as the distance calculation is only for simplified when you’re driving. Check out the above link and follow the prompts to see if client is eligible and then what expenses they can claim against the income earned. You can claim the wife and kid’s trips as well because you are moving the entire family here, doesn’t have to be all in one trip. Just know moving expenses almost always get reviewed by CRA so the letter from the employer will be required, receipts, timelines, etc.

If this tax payer was not a resident [factual or deemed] or a student, they CAN’T claim moving expenses. - See link provided by @AlbertaEFileT.

2 Likes

Which is why I said it depends on if they are are a resident or not :slight_smile:

1 Like

were did I say anything about the internet I was just asking a question and wasn’t sure if he could use this credit. I do know and understand the laws. So that is why I always like to come into here and ask my questions. but sometime with some responses it makes you scared to even ask a question

1 Like

@everyone I was only asking a question why does everyone have to make a person feel bad for asking a question. I thought the reason for this group is no question is to small or too stupid. So he had come to Canada all ready got his immigrant papers went back to Africa to take care of things and started to apply for jobs here and finally got a job. So when he came to Canada he was already a landed immigrant.

So please can we just be kind and keep smart ass comment to private messaging.

Thank you for your help to clarify my mistake in asking this question.

Sherry

5 Likes

Hi @Sherry. I totally agree with you. In my view, the purpose of this forum is to learn from each other experiences and get better each day, that’s why we call ourselves professionals because we don’t stop learning. However, there are people out there who think of themselves so perfect that their comments makes other feel incapable. I can relate my experience with you, when I’d asked a question which turned into criminality, not knowing enough, supporting fraud or leave the work etc. I wonder if those people ever thought for a second, if this guy is such a criminal, supporting fraud, or involved in illegality, is he so stupid to post that question in such a big forum in front of all professionals. Anyways, I must say there were a few who responded in a way that made you feel they really want to help. One of the professional understood my issue and really clarified my confusion. I am very appreciative of those people. Thanks.

3 Likes

were did I say anything about the internet "

THIS here, where you have posted wanting legal advice, protaxcommunity, IS part of the internet.
Generally, the internet is not where you will find accurate legal advice.
Indeed, you have received at best ambiguous legal advice already, even right here in this thread.
However:, as posted above:
“Income Tax is a legal matter, and therefore the legislation itself should be very carefully read. (In particular, Section 62 and Section 248 of the ITA)”

THAT is exactly where you will find the situation of the taxpayer in question, including the legal reason why anyone should not be preparing the tax return with claiming improper flying distances and costs.

The purpose of this forum would be on very shaky liability grounds if it purported to serve the purpose of giving legal advice.

It is good, however, for software matters….

“Which is why I said it depends on if they are are a resident or not”

Whilst some might erroneously think that there is a possibility that foreigners in another country who have now come to Canada on a work visa (not even an immigration visa, not that that would change things) were tax resident in Canada before they left, and before they had even seen Canada, I don’t think that I would ever be drunk enough to believe that for a second… :nauseated_face: :beer: …
“So Can a person who moves from another country to come work in Canada use the moving expense credit? He did move her and started a job the next day. His wife and children came 2 months later. So I cannot do a moving expense for them. Also, how do you enter the distance when flying from one country to another one if this can be done?”
No.
II would be illegal

1 Like