TaxCycle | Products | Pricing | Training | Documentation | Support | News

Student with conference expenses

I was hoping someone could help me with this one…

I have a university student that is getting her masters. She had to present her research material at two conferences this tax year (2013) as a part of her studies. She has incurred expenses (airplane ticket, conference cost and for one a rental car). She has received grant money for the tax year.

Is there any way for her to claim her expenses? I would appreciate any help.

On the Income worksheet in TaxCycle you will find a section for T4A amounts under Line 104 that includes Research grants received less allowable research expenses to determine a net research grant amount to include in income.

To find details about allowable research expenses, check CRA Income Tax Folio S1-F2-C3, specifically sections 3.73 to 3.77. These sections provide details about allowable expenses, timing of when expenses can be claimed in relation to when having received the grant and travel expenses allowable (3.75).