Separated with 3 children - CCB claim

My client Linda is separated and there are 3 children and 50/50 shared custody. Linda claims one child on her tax return and claims eligible dependant. Ex claims two children on his return and one as eligible dependant. Both have agreed that Linda applies for the CCB and indicates shared custody and receives 100% of CCB and ex will not apply for his 50%. How do i get the CCB schedule on Linda’s to claim all the children to calculate her CCB for all three children and no claim of CCB on his? As soon as i put the other 2 children on Linda’s return for the CCB to calculate correctly then the provincial credits gives her additional credits for the additional children. Then they both get provincial credits for all the children.
I am nervous that if i don’t have all three children on her tax return CRA will change her claim for the CCB.
Thank you in advance for sharing your expertise.

If there is shared custody, each parent gets 50 percent of what he or she would have received if he or she had primary custody (subsection 122.61(1.1)).
This does not help you with the software issued but THIS IS THE LAW.
Send CRA the custody document.
Linda will have to repay 1/2 of what she received whether her Ex applies for benefits or not.
See The Canada Child Benefit and Child Custody

Thanks for responding.

My take on this from other sites and the one you sent have lead me to believe there is a choice for the 2nd parent to submit an application, otherwise the parent who has applied can receive it all.

Please see the last paragraph in the link you provided.

Also paragraph 5 leads me to believe that one parent may only apply. “The presumption is that the CCB goes usually to the mother but may be rebutted by the male parent. Thus CRA’s practice is not to request documentation
when only the female parent has filed the form.”

Kind Regards,

Rosanna Sternat, CPA, CGA

400 Main St. Selkirk, MB R1A 1V1

P 204.482.7000 F 204.482.7001

Sternatemaillogo (2)
Biz logo

QB-ProAdvisor-both-1
sage-50-Certified-Consultant-2018-preferred Sage-One-Certified-Advisor-2018-preferred sage-Partner-SageCertifiedTrainer2016-stacked-horiz 50%

This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information
it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.

Ce courrier électronique est confidentiel et protégé. L’expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s’y rapportent. Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements qu’il contient par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s)
désigné(s) est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courrier électronique par erreur, veuillez m’en aviser immédiatement, par retour de courrier électronique ou par un autre moyen.

@helga_spence That is not correct, there is no repayment of benefits received in a situation as described by @rosanna CRA can be notified that one parent receive the full CCB, this can be done by an official letter by the former spouse releasing their obligations. There would be a required repayment of CCB if one of the parents disputes the arrangement and wants 50%

Also court can also decide who gets to receive the CCB, but in this case, as described, there appears to be an agreement.

This does not solve the software issue, but you can give a pretty decent estimate by looking at the numbers and ages of the kids.

Thank you for confirming the benefits.

I agree this does help the situation with the software.

The only fix I have currently is to change the client letter manually or enter the two additional children so the CCB is reported correctly and override the provincial schedule back to one child.

If anyone else has a fix that would be great.

I think I will have a better chance of others responding to this question during the day.

It is kind of late.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Sternatemaillogo (2)
Biz logo

QB-ProAdvisor-both-1
sage-50-Certified-Consultant-2018-preferred Sage-One-Certified-Advisor-2018-preferred sage-Partner-SageCertifiedTrainer2016-stacked-horiz 50%

This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information
it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.

Ce courrier électronique est confidentiel et protégé. L’expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s’y rapportent. Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements qu’il contient par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s)
désigné(s) est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courrier électronique par erreur, veuillez m’en aviser immédiatement, par retour de courrier électronique ou par un autre moyen.

Sorry that should have read “this does not help with the software issue.

Kind Regards,

Sternatemaillogo (2)
Biz logo

QB-ProAdvisor-both-1

Could you please reduce your signature? This is a “help each other out” forum, not an advertising venue.

I think the email signature is what happens when a person replies to a topic via their email account, from a notification, rather than posting a reply directly in the discussion forum.

dklassencga, I had no idea my signature from outlook was being generated when i responded to a question. I am not in need of any additional work, nor do I wish to be advertising. Thank you snoplowguy for communicating kindly without assumption. I will be conscious about where I am replying from.

It wasn’t until recently. Not sure what settings you may have changed, but I use the signature from the IPBC profile so that my full email signature doesn’t come up.