CCB claim for shared custody

my client remarried in 2023. he still obtains shared custody of his 3 children. He and his ex share the CCB, but I cant figure out how to get tax cycle to show the split on the CCB calculation page. Thanks for any tips

I went through this with a newly common-law couple last week. Between them, they have 5 children, 3 with the mother (including 2 with DTC’s), and 2 children of the father’s. All 5 kids live full-time with these parents.

I printed
a) the CCB benefit form with all 5 children
b) the CCB benefit with only the father’s 2 kids (Dad is entitled to this amount)
c) the CCB benefit with only the mother’s 3 kids (Mom is entitled to this amount)

The total CCB under (a) above, with all 5 kids, was more than the total under (b) and (c). So I allocated this excess based on the # of kids each of them had. For example, Dad got the amount under (b) plus 2/5 of the excess. Mom got the amount under (c) plus 3/5 of the excess.

It took about 15 minutes to run these and put them on a spreadsheet for them.

1 Like

super info Kevin, thank you! How did you manipulate the numbers into tax cycle?

I saved the version with ALL the kids and then deleted the Mom’s kids, ran the CCB report, exited the return WITHOUT SAVING. Opened it up again, deleted Dad’s kids and ran the CCB report. Finally, I exited the return, WITHOUT SAVING it.

Your situation is a bit different. Do your client and his ex “informally” split the CCB or have they formally split it with CRA? It may be difficult to do this type of calculation with an ex who may not share her information. It may also be different based on how much time the kids spend with one parent or the other. Finally, your client may get even less CCB because now he has to include his new spouse in the calculation. Sometimes it’s better to just suggest a percentage split that they can agree on. Most clients think there is an easy method to do things like this because we use a computer. If only that were the case …

For each dependant you have entered on the Dependant Information tab the second section has a drop down regarding CCB & GST credits.

Screenshot 2024-03-27 164638

For shared pick.

Screenshot 2024-03-27 164730

3 Likes

oh my! i was looking right at it! maybe its time for a break! thank you thank you!!

2 Likes