Ontario Small Business Support Grant

Hello, some of my clients received $10,000 or more and I was wondering if the Ontario Small Business Support Grant was taxable. Grants usually are taxable but I was wondering, since these were given in extraordinary circumstances, if they had to be declared. If yes; do we just report it on the T2125 under part 3C as "Other Income’. Thanks

I couldn’t find anything in my research that suggested these were tax free grants. I have included them as income related to government grant or subsidies.

Gregory Marko PEng, MBA, CPA CMA

P:416.527.4431 | F:416.850.4600


Click Here to securely send an encrypted file or message

This message and any files transmitted contain confidential information and are intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system. Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free, as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender, therefore, does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of email transmission. If verification is required, please request a hard-copy version or request transmission by electronically secure means.

I sent an email to the Ontario Small Business Support group and they said to ask CRA; called CRA and they said to contact Ontario. I know that grants are usually taxable…but nothing is to be found that specifically talks about this.

Having a conversation with a client about this…she was told that it would not be taxable. Before this turns into an argument does someone have something to show that it is in fact taxable.

Provincial Grants e.g., the Ontario Small Business Support Grant and the NB Small Business Recovery Grants – are taxable income when received (hits the account) and should be reported on the corporation’s tax return as a grant/subsidy.