Medical travel

When using the actual Travel expenses for medicare Worksheet for data entry:

• I would love to use ~ to populate the return date same as the Start date;
  • I would like the reason for the trip to be a list like Description on the Medical Expenses Worksheet so that you can have predictive typing; and
  • I would like the option to set the method to 1 or 2 at the top of the worksheet.

I appreciate that ~ will copy over the Reason for trip field. 8)

Also, is the Travel expenses for medical care Worksheet now part of the optimization calculation for the dates chosen for the final claim?

Until those things are looked at in the program, I can offer the Excel Template that I shared last year (you may need to update some amounts as they are from last year). It probably isn’t exactly what you are looking for but may save some data entry time.

1 Like

Thanks for that Matthew. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Matthew -
You rock. Love your Excel templates.

The combination of TaxCycle’s fabulous import and export capabilities, TaxCycle’s embedded workflows, and your highly functional Excel templates for compilation and export to TaxCycle has totally revolutionized my tax practice. It now takes me half the time or less to complete an engagement than previously with ProFile and my previous Excel compilation templates.

You have prompted me to return to Excel training through Jeff Lenning’s Excel U to gain more skills in adopting more powerful Excel templates throughout my bookkeeping and tax practice.

This has led me to explore workflow pain points and identify workflow improvement opportunities.

Now that Citrix has a Canadian data centre I have added Citrix ShareFile and Right Signature to store documents, send encrypted emails, and obtain e-signatures where authorized to accept.

I am enrolled in Heather Satterly’s 5-week Zapier program to map and identify automation needs and options.
http://satterleyconsulting.com/classes-and-webinars/

“Learn how Zapier can automate your processes by connecting many of your favorite apps and creating custom integrations between them. In this 5 week course, you’ll learn how to design, create and use Zaps to automate processes like customer on-boarding, automation of social media posts from blogs posts you’ve written, and automating the collection of vendor W-9 forms. Don’t miss this informative and in-depth course!”

Post this tax season -
preferably this summer or fall -
I would really like TaxCycle to add the following:

1. Zapier integration.
  2. Citrix ShareFile integration.
  3. Citrix Right Signature integration.

What started as one little tweak is taking me down the road of all things standardized, documented, and automated where effective and efficient.

This is leading me out of beginning consumed by low value repetitive tasks into higher value consultative tasks. This is saving me time and share of mind cluttered with follow-up procedures.

Thank you for your significant contribution in helping me transform my practice and my work-life balance.

1 Like

Any chance for an update for the new 2017 travel format including the reason for the trip.

Also, I am having problems getting TaxCylce to import the date. My date setting is 2001-03-14 within Excel…

Just entered some 2016 travel expenses.

For 2017 the per km rate for AB is 45¢/km but for 2016 it 43.5¢/km.

Why is TaxCycle using the 2017 rate when a 2016 date has been entered?

I know that CRA posts two kms rates - Medical Travel and Business Travel.

This is my 19th year preparing tax returns. I have had always used the business travel travel and have always had that rate accepted by both CRA Post Assessment Review and CRA Audit.

This is not a recommendation or professional advice. This is an anecdotal tale which I am sharing, as it was shared with me when I first started out preparing tax returns. Actually I was given that advice by a former GreenPoint employee.

Medical Travel Rates

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/line-255-northern-residents-deductions/meal-vehicle-rates-used-calculate-travel-expenses-2016-previous-years.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/line-255-northern-residents-deductions/meal-vehicle-rates-used-calculate-travel-expenses-2016.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/payroll/benefits-allowances/automobile/automobile-motor-vehicle-allowances/automobile-allowance-rates.html

The automobile allowance rates for 2018 are:

55¢ per kilometre for the first 5,000 kilometres driven
49¢ per kilometre driven after that

In the Northwest Territories, Yukon, and Nunavut, there is an additional 4¢ per kilometre allowed for travel.

The automobile allowance rates for 2016 and 2017 are:

54¢ per kilometre for the first 5,000 kilometres driven
48¢ per kilometre driven after that

In the Northwest Territories, Yukon, and Nunavut, there is an additional 4¢ per kilometre allowed for travel.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/news/newsroom/tax-tips/tax-tips-2016/you-have-medical-expenses-you-may-able-claim-them-on-your-income-tax-benefit-return.html

Can you claim travel expenses?

Maybe you had to travel at least 40 kilometres (one way) from your home to get medical services. If so, you may be able to claim the public transportation (for example, taxi, bus, and train) expenses you paid. Where public transportation is not readily available, you may be able to claim vehicle expenses instead. Or maybe you had to travel at least 80 kilometres (one way) from your home to get medical services. If so, you may be able to claim accommodation, meal, and parking expenses in addition to your transportation expenses.

Did someone accompany you? If so, you may be able to claim that person’s transportation and travel expenses. To make that claim, a medical practitioner must certify in writing that you were incapable of travelling alone to get medical services.

As virtually all of my clients’ medical travel is calculated using the 2: Simplified, AND the method needs to consistent for each tax return, could the 1: Detailed and 2: Simplified, be an option at the top of medical travel screen instead of dealing with for each trip?