Information on options

Is there a repository of what each options does? I’m looking at setting up TaxCycle’s options and some of the options are a bit obscure as to what they do (looking at you “use the full TLS security protocol range” tick-box) - would be great to have bit of a wiki or something like that on what the option’s impact is.

I am not sure it they have one yet; however the TLS option is only to be used if you are told by Taxcycle I believe

Thanks for the info on that specific one. Taxcycle, it would still be great to have a bit of “what this does” library for the options. Maybe a simple hover-the-mouse-over a “?” in the corner of the actual option window, or something on the website.

I find that most are self explanatory and there are a few options that are very specific requests for some users that default to off. As an interim, if you have any specific questions on any of the options post them here and we maybe able to help.

Here are some that are unclear

1. Use default email client sender address box on contact and preparer screen?
  • Where does the signature on the correspondence option vs the preparer option goes?

• ESC closes the current form and returns you to the previous one. How does ESC acts if that is not ticked?

• Disable animations (on various option tab). What are animations?

• Use Classic Fast Find. What is classic fast find? What is the non-classic fast find?

1. This is used when sending emails from TaxCycle. I’ll check on the exact scenario we solve with this. If, when you send generate an email directly from TaxCycle, the “from” email is what you want, then you don’t need to change this setting. It’s useful in scenarios where you have multiple email addresses in your email client, and you want TaxCycle to use a specific “send from” email address.

2. If you have one signature that is used by everyone in the office, but it in the correspondence option. If every preparer uses their own signature, put it on the preparer section. This is useful when you are sharing options using Options Profiles. You can then share the correspondence settings with everyone, but allow each preparer to use their own “preparer” details.

3. If Esc is not ticked, it will cancel any the review cursor instead, if you are in “review” mode.

4. The animations are transitions which occur when changing tabs. Most are subtle, but they can be a performance issue on terminal server installations.

5. The “classic” fast find shows less preview information, and it does not search the text on the forms. This is the original fast find functionality that we supported. It’s still an option because we don’t have the full text search on French yet, so some French customers use the “classic” version. You can see the difference I’m talking about if you turn on the option, then open a return and press “F4”.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll ask someone from my communications team to review these descriptions and see if we can add some more detail to the relevant options pages.

Best regards,

~ Cameron

Here is another one:
On the preparer options, the Preparer Details have a field for Preparer, Reviewer/Manager, and Approver/Partner. Are those meant to be used where a specific individual is assigned a single Reviewer/Manager and Approver/Partner?
In our office, we have many preparer, whose tax returned is reviewed by one or two reviewer, but ultimately they all go to the one “partner” - how would those fields be filled in this case?

How do you organize your work? How do you organize the reviewer system?

The sign-off system allows for two levels of sign-off review marks. The office engagement shows three levels.

How you chose to use those will ultimately depend on how you’ve set up your review system and if you need to trace who performed what work.

The Taxcycle people may have some other views on how this may be used since they see a variety of different office structures.

I suspect that not a lot of offices use the reviewer systems to monitor who is doing what given that the manual does not really touch on this.

Yes, I can see how every office will be different. It’s our first year using TaxCycle and we’re trying to muddle our way through the options settings. The options tab called “Preparer” had all those fields mentioned above, but I wasn’t sure how they are meant to be filled and how they impact the software.

It’s taking us a bit of time to figure out how to put the right firm information in the right place: there are a few tax forms where the preparer information gets inserted when we would rather have the firm information instead (I got another thread about T4/T5 transmitter contact info) and this seem like some of this confusion might be arising from the Preparer options tab.

We just figured out that while most of our options setting are “locked”, we left that Preparer tab open for each individual staff to customize because we obviously all have different name and such. But on that tab, there are settings at the bottom (the Representative Details and the Contact sections) that we actually want everybody to have set the same on every license, and which were not so far.