Eligible educator school supply tax credit and laptops

For the Eligible educator school supply tax credit, I’d like to make sure I’m understanding the claims for prescribed durable goods correctly, as it seems to be pretty generous.

Teaching supplies are consumable supplies and prescribed durable goods. Durable goods are:

• laptop, desktop and tablet computers, provided that none of these items are made available to the eligible educator by their employer for use outside of the classroom

Source

As an example: My partner is a teacher. She does not have a work device to use at home so she uses her own laptop for things like report cards, communication with parents, creating teaching plans, etc… Would this meet the requirement of “You bought the teaching supplies for teaching or facilitating students’ learning”?

That part of the claim provisions pretty much denies the laptops - any teacher getting one will be taking it home to work in comfort and/or remotely.

Are you sure that? I read that to mean, they can claim a laptop if the school isn’t providing one to take home.

1 Like