COVID-19 & Pandemic

What if CRA can’t stay open and shuts down e-file, then we are all stuck filing tax returns till summer…let’s hope not. We want to go fishing!

Procedures that are now in place at my office:

• Every person who comes to the door is now logged,
  • Every physical paper is sterilized using UV (which does not work for virus control, such as COVID-19, but is better than nothing,)
  • Every use of the scanner (touching paper) is logged,
  • Clients are encouraged to switch to digital delivery, or failing that, postal delivery,
  • 10% bleach solution with cloth is now available at the door for handle,
  • Clients are encouraged to wash hands on entry (and the soap has been specially chosen to be smelly!)
  • Clients may elect to use paper towels to dry hands,
  • Toilet paper is limited, and
  • Lysol spray is available, again smelly.

Following the declaration of a state of emergency by the City of Calgary in response to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic, we’ve updated our post about how things are evolving here.

Just a reminder if you and your staff are also working from home, your TaxCycle licenses are easily transferred to a different computer. Our license agreement allows for each person with a license to install TaxCycle in more than one location providing they are the only person using it.

Revenu Québec has extended dealines. Full press release here:

http://www.fil-information.gouv.qc.ca/Pages/Article.aspx?lang=en&idArticle=2803177169

I am inundated with messages about this. I agree with you Cameron, updates are enough. We have experienced it first hand as one my staff has tested positive. We have forwarded emails to all of our clients telling them to use the online facilities or couriers to deal with this problem. So far the rest of us are clear.

Cameron we extend our condolences to you and your staff for the loss of your employee.

Gabe, Linda, Ellen, Dmitry, Wendy and Kyla

1 Like

Update from EAC/TAC to members:

Dear EAC/ATC Member,

A brief email to outline our recent communications with the CRA regarding the affect COVID-19 is having on the tax preparation industry. Hopefully an announcement from the CRA is imminent. It would help reduce a lot of uncertainty and anxiety.

The EAC has communicated the following to the CRA:

1. that CRA expedite the acceptance of digital signatures for the T183;
  2. that CRA extend the tax deadlines (for T1, GST/HST etc); and
  3. that CRA exercise leniency when applying late payment penalties for taxes owing for the 2019 tax year.

We will keep you posted as to any changes.

2 Likes

Cameron. Condolences to you and the staff on the recent loss of an employee. You are all highly valued as you make our lives and industry so much better and easier.

In order to reduce the necessity for taxpayers and tax preparers to meet in person during this difficult time, and to reduce administrative burden, effective immediately the Canada Revenue Agency will recognize electronic signatures as having met the signature requirements of the Income Tax Act , as a temporary administrative measure. This provision applies to authorization forms T183 or T183CORP, which are forms that are signed in person by millions of Canadians every year to authorize tax preparers to file taxes.

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/news/2020/03/canadas-covid-19-economic-response-plan-support-for-canadians-and-businesses.html#Flexibility_for_Tax-filers

I know TaxCycle has been working to integrate e-signatures. Based on the above, do you expect to roll this out soon?

1 Like

Thank you for that information Philippe. This is definitely good news…

What exactly is defined as acceptable Electronic Signature ?? For clients who have limited facilities can they do it on their ordinary cellphone or how ?

1 Like

I have the same question…

I hope that a signed and scanned document will be sufficient - although I ask my clients to mail me the original papers. Klaus

The orignials will go through how many hands along the way?

CRA has announced the acceptance for eSignature a few hours ago, look for Flexibility for Taxpayers: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/news/2020/03/canadas-covid-19-economic-response-plan-support-for-canadians-and-businesses.html#Income_Support_for.

Signority is a Canadian electronic signature company based in Ottawa Ontario with data centre in Canada. Check the website: https://www.signority.com/accounting-tax/

We are using signnow, since 2015, with our own private server in house.

With signnow, the client downloads to a mobile device a free app, which then allows them to sign where indicated.

I have the app set to only allow ‘drawn’ signatures as opposed to typed sigantures…

Mark

For the businesses, CRA ‘defer the payment of any income tax amounts’ until August 31… The way it word is it only apply to income tax? What about the GST payment? Eg, those that due Mar 31. Any ideas?

Through Babylon by TELUS Health, you have access to a free, customised COVID-19 online symptom checker

This offer I appreciate seeing in my inbox:

To our valued customers,

During this unprecedented time in our history, I wanted to reach out to you personally to let you know that the TELUS team is here to support you and our fellow Canadians as we manage through COVID-19.

The safety and security of our customers, our communities and our team members is of paramount importance to us, and our team members are quite literally working around the clock to fully support you at this critical time. Please know that our world-leading networks have the capacity, coverage and reliability to keep you connected with your loved ones and to vital information.

As we all take important precautions to practice social distancing, TELUS’ virtual healthcare solutions allow you to securely monitor your health and that of your families. Through Babylon by TELUS Health, you have access to a free, customised COVID-19 online symptom checker, and patients in B.C., Alberta and Ontario can schedule a one-on-one video consultation with a licensed doctor at no cost from your smartphone and in the comfort and safety of your own home.

Reflecting our longstanding dedication to helping our fellow citizens, we are taking responsibility to support our communities throughout this pandemic and in the months to come. Our TELUS Friendly Future Foundation is committing $10 million of our philanthropic efforts to help build public healthcare capacity through the COVID-19 crisis and beyond, including funding for new technology and equipment, such as ventilators, as well as increased support for elderly Canadians and mental health programmes.

Please know that your TELUS family is here for you. Be safe, be kind and stay connected to your friends, family and those who need our support.
\ 125xauto

Darren Entwistle
President and CEO
Member of the TELUS team

Since GST collected represents amounts that you collected from your customers and not really yours I doubt there would be any change. In that way they are similar to payroll deductions. Nor could I find anything on the CRA web-sited to indicate that would be any change to the existing due dates.

Regards

Jim