Convenience fee / Credit card fee (Ontario)

Does anyone charge their clients a convenience fee/credit card fee?

Historically, our practice has accepted only etransfers from clients to pay for invoices.

However, we are thinking of offering the option to pay with a credit card for a nominal fee.

The client would be charged an extra 3% on their invoice should they want to pay with a credit card to simply cover the cost of the fee.

Does anyone do this. Is it legal? Just want to ensure this is done by the books.

1 Like

I do believe it is legal to charge the convenience fee these days (it wasn’t always, not sure how long ago that changed).
In my case I don’t charge any premium for paying by cc re:T1 work, but don’t offer the cc option for T2 invoices…

1 Like

It is legal but why not just bury the 3% into the final price so it’s transparent to the client. I picked up a Square device just in case customers pay by debit or credit but i don’t plan to pass on the fee.

2 Likes

@David_R_Officer The way I plan to present it should they wish to use credit card and agree to the credit card fee.

Sales Invoice

• Accounting Fee: $113.00
  • 3% Credit card fee: $3.39

Is that what you’re referring to?

Like David Officer, I also use Square for processing. I started accepting credit cards originally because I found that it was the only way to get paid with some personal tax clients. Some clients live month to month, and I learned early on that a client picking up the returns often apparently didn’t have cash or a cheque, but it was pretty hard for them to say that they didn’t have a credit card in their wallet. I feel that avoiding writing off even only a few billings would more than pay the acceptance fees, and eliminate having to chase those clients – never an enjoyable task. I chose Square because they don’t charge monthly service fees, although there may be other providers.

1 Like

What does the square cost? How many pay by square?

1 Like

Square charges between 2.65% to 3.4% depending on type of transaction. I have access to a few other options. Send me a message and i can pass on the details.

1 Like

What is your contact for message?

1 Like

That is EXACTLY why I offer it for T1’s. And I also use Square, having previously used & liked Dream payments (until Moneris swallowed them up). Have also tried and was unhappy with Costco’s Elavon service.

1 Like

I only accept credit cards and debit cards.

Realized the cost of handling the cash and cheques far surpassed the credit card commissions.

Moved over to Square in earnest last season and managed to save 45% in overall costs by leaving one of the many bank merchant providers.

As well with square, when I ask for a remote signature, I also send along a square invoice which they are more than happy to pay.

In health…

1 Like

I went to credit cards years ago when one day during tax season a drawer in the front desk was full of cash, and it hadn’t all been accounted for. I don’t add a fee, it is convenient for me.

1 Like

I usually have the invoice prepared and ready when clients come to pick up their taxes/financials/etc. I don’t know ahead of time if they will pay by credit card.

@NiceGuy
I have tried or looked at various providers, but since I rarely have a client that wants to pay by credit card, I find that Square is best - no monthly fees. However, they charge 3.4% which is high, so I charge my clients half of that and explain to them why. Then, often, they choose a different payment method.

I agree with @LMK @mark @gaymwise that it is a convenience and/or a marketing tool - being able to offer that payment option. I just don’t think that tool is worth 3.4%.

1 Like

I only offer 2 payment options

1. Credit cards (Visa/Mastercard)
  2. Debit cards

Right now, I am looking for a remote signature service that will also take the credit card at the same time.

Is that something Taxcycle with Tax folders might be able to do in the future?

In health

1 Like

$.10/debit transaction. I also use QBO which allows the client to pay by CC when invoiced. Once paid I release the return. CC cost is similar to Square.

1 Like

One basic question- is it legal? You need to check the terms of the agreement with the provider (Square, Monerais, etc.) to see if this is allowed. If it’s not, then you are breaking the terms of your agreement.

2 Likes

You cannot charge a fee for using a credit card.

https://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/eng/03466.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-consumer-agency/services/merchants/credit-fees-merchant.html

1 Like

@officetaxmanagers

Interesting links! Thanks for providing!

However, the info on those web pages does not say you can’t charge a fee to your customer. The second link specifically says you CAN charge a fee. In further research, I can’t find anywhere that says it’s against the law. At most, Amex/Visa/MC might force your provider (Square/Chase/First Data/etc) to cancel your account with them.

Wouldn’t affect me much if they did. But, for those who have a POS terminal or a payment provider that charges a monthly fee anyway, why would you bother charging a transaction fees to only credit card customers? You’re paying for some part of the service whether your customers use a credit card or not. In that case, I think it would be easier (not to mention more equitable) to increase your overall prices as suggested by @David_R_Officer , and thus spread the cost among ALL your customers/clients (and also keep you compliant with your service provider agreement).

2 Likes

I have successfully gotten refund on such fees from the provider by contacting them and providing proof of such fee and info on the business, and I got it back on my credit card. I don’t know how they deal with the business who charged me the fees, but in both cases I was forced to pay it by the business (it was car towing and appliance repair, and a 3% and 5% fee).

1 Like

I used to charge the convenience fee. then change POS systems, and am no longer able to.
Instead I gently push my clients to pay vie interac etransfer, then they end up paying the transaction fees anyhow!

1 Like

I think if you check your agreement, VISA prohibits a fee to be line item added for the use of CREDIT / DEBIT cards.

1 Like