Caregiver amount optimization

How do you select which taxpayer/spouse gets the caregiver amount for an infirm adult dependant? That is, for a husband and wife that takes care of an elderly mother/father? I can’t find it on the Optimization page, nor on the Dependant form. Do I have to override the “Portion to claim” fields in the Caregiver Amount section of the Dependant form? Is there no other way?

Never mind. I found it - there is a “Summary - Dependants Credits” page which acts as the Optimization selection.

1 Like

So I was just looking up this question, I have a husband/wife client and he has a DTC on file for life but the credit does nothing for him and she is the caregiver. So I found the page you are talking about so do I need to enter him as a dependant? Or do you just click on the info page and say yes to Canada caregiver amount? I do not want to file this wrong for them they are a bit older and I have not had to do this for anyone yet. The CRA website is difficult to understand.

Thank you

It should be taken care of on Schedule 2 Line 32600 “Amounts transferred from spouse.”
That will happen even if you answer no to the Canada Caregiver Amount question.

Hi Sherry,

I think you have a different situation. If one spouse is a caregiver to the other, you simply check the box on the Info page. The situation I described above is when there is a husband/wife looking after a THIRD person (i.e. the wife’s 85 year-old mother lives with them).