Authrep and MR 69

Hello,
Is it mandatory to let the client sign Authrep and MR69? Or only if I want to access the client’s info?

I consider it mandatory - I won’t do the taxes if I cannot get the AuthRep signed. However, it is only mandatory if you want to access the client’s info. So, the short answer is no.

Let’s say you want to file simple return,and do you still need to access and sign it?

In my practice, I feel that if the client doesn’t trust me enough to provide access, then we should not be doing business together. End of discussion with the client.

This access is a tool to allow those of us who prepare tax returns on a professional basis to better serve our clients.

Aside from slips download, we get other valuable pieces of information like HBP, RRSP limits, debts owed for which the refund will be used.

For a new client, I always login thru rep a client and review the correspondence section to see if there are any items that require action that the taxpayer has overlooked.

2 Likes

There is nothing that prevents you from filing - you can take the client’s information and work with it to prepare a return. However, as @rachelavryl so clearly points out, having access to the file is so important to us that we don’t file without.