Anyone here run a virtual firm?

@cory I agree it is the tax software that is currently hampering becoming 100% cloud based. Like you I have come up with cloud solutions for everything else.

I seem to recall cameron mentioning that they are considering offering a Taxcycle in the cloud solution

In the meantime, I was looking at the ClientManager server settings.

It looks like:

• Each remote computer can be itā€™s own standalone server
  • They can each monitor the same shared cloud drive
  • They can each re-index their own index over night

Which means if Staff A creates or carryforwards Client X file, everybody else wonā€™t know about it until the next day in their client managers. May not be a horrible solution.

Iā€™m going to test it out tonight and see how it works.

In Hopes that Taxcycle Peeps are reading thisā€¦

** DO NOT GO FULL CLOUDā€¦ I live in rural NBā€¦ My internet is not fastā€¦ I do not have great accessā€¦ I have called both Bell and Rogers
every 6 months for the last 8 years in hopes someone will finally get tired of me and give in.**

I need DESKTOP softwareā€¦

** When these posts happen, I start to panicā€¦ everyone thinks the Virtual office is the way to goā€¦ but that is only if you have access
to fast and reliable internetā€¦ which is not all of us.**

Thank you for reading my post.

@rachelavryl
@Cameron

If Cameron is considering to go Cloud I would prefer a Client Server implementation so that we could opt to synch your PC Client copy with the Cloud Server. That way we would be protected from slow or non-existent internet locations. Even here in Calgary there are spots just south of 22X which are internet and cable dead zones. You have to teether your computerā€™s internet to your cellphone to get a workable connection.

I feel for you. I was there for the longest time. There was a high speed cable going past my house but the cost to tap in would have been exorbitant. Now I have high speed cable into my house. Using the Cloud is just great when it works.

Any online recommendations for for online accounting software and cloud file-sharing and backup that are a low security risk?

My concerns are:
Malicious attacks on cloud-based servers, as mentioned.

Unsecure file sharing services (i.e. dropbox) also have weaknesses:

https://nordic-backup.com/blog/is-dropbox-safe-for-business-backup/#:~:text=Dropbox%20has%20256-bit%20AES,leave%20your%20business%20data%20vulnerable.

Another consideration is encryption levels (is data private when stored on US cloud servers)?

Small CPAs and accountants are vulnerable as we usually donā€™t have a computer department for this.

For now, my business is laptop/desktop based, but my first concern for online apps is security and data privacy.

Doesnā€™t everyone work virtually now? Somewhere?

The problem is that security is up to YOU. Doesnā€™t matter what service you use, good security hygiene is your responsibility. Password managers, VPNs, strong encryption, NOT storing info in the US (subject to Patriot Act and NOT Canadian (although weak) laws). No one is protecting you if you are not doing it.

There are lots of options: Canadian-only AWS/Azure servers via VPN, backed up by MS as well as using a Canadian backup service (Mastermind in Toronto is one choice - cheap and effective) and all Canadian locus, and preferably more than one of them. 1Password , secure with Yubikey and 2FA etc. But thatā€™s all home-rolled. Oh - and a spare ā€œwarmā€ server set up the same, elsewhere, and ready to go if the primary craps out. Drop your backups on it and away you go.

There is no ā€œsimpleā€ solution.

1 Like

SYNC.com Canadian, reasonable price and extremely secure and superior agreement. I will be moving over shortly. Right now I am using Dropbox and OneDrive for file sharing, but similar feelings to what you are expressing.

I have a small bookkeeping practice and I use QuickBooks Online. I like it and comfortable with the security for myself and my clients.

1 Like

I have almost all of my QBO clients on a backup system called ReWind. ReWind is based in Ottawa and is used for online stores and software like QBO. I have never had to use it but it is there like an inexpensive insurance policy for QBO.

ReWind

Thanks. I will check that out.