T2201 Form

Hi:
I am not sure if it’s a glitch or if I did something wrong.

I e-filed a return for a client, and immediately got a confirmation, stating there is no approved T2201 for this person, and review will be needed by CRA.

I double checked the return, there is no claim for disability on line 31600, and it’s odd, I didn’t select yes or no for claiming disability on the return, it should had been flagged.

Her spouse had T2201 approved, and which I selected Yes, neither of them got enough income to use their personal exemption. So, there will be no use of the disability credit anyway.

Is there way to check why this is happening, leaving yes or no on the disability claim will automatically claiming disability credit?

Thanks

What appears on the info screen for the client?

The section where it asked if claiming disability is unchecked. For the spouse that already had approved T2201, it’s marked as Yes

In all likelihood the unused DTC transferred to spouse and this was the first time that has occurred.

No panic. Processing will just delay a cycle or two as they confirm spouse has DTC on file.

Then it will be there for future years.

1 Like

Thanks, It just seems odd to me that, the unused DTC, did not transfer to spouse because there wasn’t income to use the extra DTC, on Line 31800, it’s nil

I thought I opened the T2201 to verified the spouse’s disability claim prior creating the spousal return, led to the inclusion of T2201 on both even I didn’t select “yes” to claim disability.

I’ve had several of these this year. Definitely not working as it has in past years. Every one is where Spouse A is claiming Disability Credit, yet Spouse B’s return processing is being delayed – and there has NOT been a transfer of the credit between Spouses. I called the eFile Helpdesk to ask if they could “nudge” it along, like they used to do when transferring a Disability Credit from spouse for the first time. I was told that this situation is different (and new this year) and we’ll just have to wait for the appropriate department to complete their review before the return will be assessed. I’ve got a couple that have been in limbo for 6+ weeks now. Good grief…