Surpassed 30k, no HST number

Hi! I’m a contractor and I have surpassed 30k in 2023 and didn’t register for an HST number. I’m a newcomer and I wasn’t careful on that. Now for the taxes is it possible to write a letter to the CRA and explain that it wasn’t intentional I didn’t keep track of it… or is it unnecessary ? I don’t have a lot of expenses so it’s a big amount to compensate
Thank you for any help

Register today. You can go back 30 days with the registration. Once registered, you may be able to call CRA and have it backdated (they have done this sometimes, but it’s inconsistent).

If your expenses are low, the quick method may be economic as well as, well, quick.

1 Like

You may have more expenses than you realize. You probably have a pickup truck that is used primarily for the construction business. It may be very beneficial to talk to an accountant or bookkeeper with some construction experience to help you get on track properly.

You may well be able to find an advisor that will help you at little or no cost. I believe CRA has small business advisors that can help. But as others have said, get registered now, and then ask to back date the registeration to where you went over the $30,000 mark. They will ask for one or more invoices to support the back dating.

2 Likes