TaxCycle | Products | Pricing | Training | Documentation | Support | News

Non-profit organization

I have been asked to consult on a very small non-profit organization and have never done one before. Form what I understand, form 1044 may need to be filed, depending on assets and income.

Are there any other requirements? A T2 would obviously need to be filed if they are incorporated or a T3 if it’s a trust. Is there ever a situation where an NPO could be structured as something other than a Corp or a trust?

Finally, I am not sure what to charge here. Would really appreciate some input.

You need education first.
A T2 is NOT required for non-profits. They file either a T1044 or a T3010 if it has Charity status. If it’s structured as a trust, a T3 is filed.

Be careful not to bite off more than you can chew as filing the wrong forms can cost them their status.


Personally, I do not do non-profits, and know absolutely nothing about them, and would definitely refer a potential engagement to others…
However, a cursory reading of Guide T4012 (see page 9) informs thus:

"Who has to file a T2 return?
Resident corporations
All corporations—including non-profit organizations,
tax-exempt corporations, and inactive corporations—have
to file a T2 return for every tax year, even if there is no tax
payable. The only exceptions to this rule are tax-exempt
Crown corporations, Hutterite colonies, and corporations
that were registered charities throughout the year."

Thanks for your feedback. I agree, not good to bite off more than I can chew. This NPO is federally incorporated and definitely requires a T2 to be filed, although exempt from Part 1 tax. Out of curiosity @joe.justjoe1, why don’t you do Non-profits?

There are just so many hours in a day to devote to being competent and keeping up to date in a particular area - no time for everything…

1 Like

I have a few NPO clients, and I file T2s for most of them. CRA has withheld GST refunds when the T2 was not filed. Also, a T1044 is not required in all cases:
I have not filed a T1044 for any of my current NPO clients, as they either qualify for one of the exceptions, or they require a review or audit engagement (which I can’t do, because I am not a CPA).