Motor Vehicle (CCA not claimed)

Vehicle purchased in 2019 (2017 model).
Owner of vehicle started a sole proprietorship in 2021 - used it 80% for business.

I looked at 2021 return and no CCA was claimed on vehicle (maybe he didn’t know how to claim it/previous preparer forgot).

I see a prorated amount of the fuel, interest, and insurance expenses were claimed on 2021 return but again no CCA was claimed.

The vehicle was used 100% for business in 2022.
What cost amount should I use for this vehicle?

I know this topic has been discussed before but I would like to know others’ current thoughts on this.

I recall a similar post a few years ago, and a wise practitioner responded - calculate what the depreciated value would have been by the end of 2021, and use that as the cost of acquisition as at the start of 2022. CRA will accept that value. Alternatively, if you have some way to prove the FMV as of Jan 1, 2022, that would be acceptable.

1 Like

Vehicle:

• Purchased mid-2019 for $25,000
  • First used for business Jan 1, 2021 (business start date)

First-year CCA calc:
= $25,000 x 30% (CCA rate)
CCA = $7,500

Therefore his cost base would be $17,500.00 ($25K - $7,500) for January 1, 2022.

The only other thing I was thinking that may impact this calculation is the half-year rule because 2021 is the year it became available for use which would bring down the $7,500.00 CCA to $3,750.00.

Thoughts?

Best choice!

1 Like

That applies if it is a class 10 vehicle, but not if it is a class 10.1 vehicle. Also remember that you are just trying to calculate a reasonable FMV to use upon acquisition of the asset, so you could document it either way.

1 Like

Vehicle description:

• Dodge Caravan seats 7 (including the driver)
  • Used by a tradesman to carry his tools and supplies
  • 100% used for business
  • Less than $30,000.00
  • Purchased in 2019 and used for business in 2021

I read the following (screenshots) CRA link:

My conclusion is this is a motor vehicle (based on the above highlights).

Please see the below link and screenshots regarding class 10/10.1 and half-year rule.

Based on the above highlights I believe this van will go in class 10 and have half-year rule applied.

Does anyone feel otherwise?

You are absolutely right.
Once you are over 90% business your in, just be able to justify that use

1 Like

I would question if the half year rule needs to apply since this is the second year the vehicle is on the road. But I guess if you bought a used van from a dealer, the half year rule would definitely apply.

1 Like

Apologies for reopening discussion - similar situation but not exactly the same.

New scenario:
Taxpayer purchased pickup truck in **2019 - not used for business till 2022.

• Cost $50,000 +HST
  • Seats 5-6
  • 15% for business

I categorized it passenger vehicle class 10.1(more than $34,000).

However, I depreciated the truck and did it this way…

Brings it to $20,825.
I depreciated 30% a year (first year being half -half year rule).
Screenshot 2023-06-15 185404

Should it go in Class 10.1 based on its original cost or Class 10 because the new cost is less than $34,000?

In my opinion the proper amount to use as your starting value would be FMV at the time. One resource I have used is autotrader.ca

Then if value is over 34k it is 10.1 otherwise class 10.

5 Likes

That is what I do as well

1 Like

Hello team,

Your input is much appreciated, I have a sole proprietorship client, they switched from sole proprietorship to Limited in July 2022 . The previous preparer did not calculate any CCA for equipment and goodwill since 2018- 2021 when the time they purchased the salon. what should I do in this CCA in order to rollover from SP to Ltd?
Can I calculate what depreciated value from 2018 to 2021 by the end of 2022, put three years reduction in one year, then use that cost of acquisition after deprecation three year expense as the beginning of 2023? because they switched their business from sole proprietorship to ltd. Any other instruction for this situation? your input is much appreciated .

All the best

I believe the proper method is to do rollover at book values at time of incorporation. At least i believe that is what I would do.

agree with @obhorst
Also, you do not take cca in the year of disposal… .which is what happened when sole proprietorship closed and the corporation "bought " its assets at book value.

Cannot go backwards to capture cca and claim 3 years worth in one year … this is for both sole prop and corp.

Could amend the last 3 years of personal tax to claim the cca in each year… but unless there is a significant reason to do so I would rollover at the higher undepreciated value of the asset as it sits on the books and the corporation beginning balance will be higher.

1 Like

Thank you Obhorst & Rachel for these input & feedback

Thank you Obhorst & Rachel for these input & feedback!

Per the income tax act, all such transactions MUST be recorded at FMV. I’d have to look up the section/subsection (or maybe it’s in the regs?), but generally, FMV must be used unless there is a provision specifying otherwise.

In this case, Section 85 would be most likely applicable, in which case you could roll the assets into the corp at tax cost (which may be similar or same as book value, as noted by @obhorst ). But, if you are using Section 85, ensure you do all the work required to support your filing of the T2057. Most importantly, get a copy of the legal agreement (i.e. done by a lawyer), which specifies all the details of the sale. Note that the lawyer will likely need your input to establish tax cost of the assets, type and amount of low-PUC shares, and type and amount of non-share consideration. In addition, some other reliable source should be used to establish FMV of the assets - this needs to be done whether using S85 or not.

Yes, thank you Nezzer for your helpful and detail instructions, all the best to all