Mgmt fees between holdco and activeco

Client has activeco and holdco. Both have existed for 20+ years. activeco now not very active. holdco with income mostly passive around $150-175K. Client has been charging mgmt fee from activeco to holdco. Previous desk audit in 2017 and CRA accepted mgmt fees of $34K or so. 2017 invoice was for performance fees on investment mgmt.

For anyone doing this I am wondering the limits on this. Was the client just lucky in 2017 or is this generally accepted by CRA (management fees between related companies effectively turning passive income into active).

I think the term is “a reasonable amount in light of services provided”.

Every situation is different. I had a client face one of those desk audit reviews a couple years back. A good story will help but there is probably no hard evidence you can look at unless someone is tracking their time/activities. I have a very thorough client who had lot’s of info to support the amount claimed.

Do you have any GST/HST issues to consider?

If Opco is collecting lets say 13% HST from Holdco on the management fees which is likely not claimable as an ITC by Holdco this essentially adds to the tax rate.

An RC4616 may be a possibility but there are some restrictions on that and the election absolutely needs to be filed in order for it to be a possible way out.

Thanks. As the client is winding down active co they have de-registered for HST so amount must be less than 30K which is a valid point.

At 30K the management fee would be ~20%. On the high side but not unheard of as a performance fee. This is a pretty simple way to turn passive income to active so I’m just wondering if there are any precedents. Seems this would be pretty common in real estate.

What’s the basis of allocating management fees to holdoco… you mentioned they are winding down OPCO … are they trying to eat up at prior NCL ?

Yes plus opco still has some small expenses with no income to claim against.