Masking SIN number on T183

Does the masked SIN also apply to the AuthRep form?

It would make sense that the SIN but not the BN on the AuthRep form to be masked. But I am willing to bet that what is good for the goose (T183) isn’t for the gander (AuthRep).

I used Profile last year. By default, the 1st 5 digits on the SIN were masked on both the T183’s and the T1013’s (AuthReps). Other forms, like the T1032 or T2091 did not mask the SIN.

Yes it does mask them

taxcycle you can tell it to mask it when it prints

I thank the people saying that Taxcycle does mask the SIN on the T1013.

I should rephrase my question… Does the CRA allow you to do so?

Perhaps @kozakworld 's comment about profile doing this means that the CRA allows it.

CRA Allows it:
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/e-services/e-services-businesses/efile-electronic-filers/efile-news-program-updates.html

If you read that link, you will realize that it is silent about masking the SIN on the AuthRep.

The link only talks about masking the SIN on the T183.

1 Like

Tim, I think the e-file helpdesk that sent this information (and the email to e-filers) focuses only on the T183 vs other forms. That’s probably why they didn’t address the AuthRep.

If CRA was to come after folks who mask the 1st five digits of the AuthRep, they’d be after a whole lot of folks, including everyone who uses Profile, since there is NO option to change it in the Profile settings. I didn’t register for Profile for this tax season but assuming it is still the same as last season. I’ll post a message in their user group and ask.

I have a subscription to Profile and confirm the 2020 T1 module does mask the first 5 digits of the Authrep upon printing that form.

I just talked with the E-file help desk and the agent said they have no information whatsoever on whether or not it is permissible to mask the first five digits of the taxpayer’s SIN on the AuthRep form!! I told her that it was done by a lot of Efilers last year and this year the practice is continuing. She said she would send an inquiry up the chain of command to get clarification. Maybe we should all individually call them about this as it might speed up getting a written notification from CRA that it is indeed permissible! I am shaking my head on this one.

I called them as well. They told me that Authrep was a different department and they could only comment on the T183.

The agent at the Efile help desk I spoke too didn’t say that at all. She was all ears and said she would send send an inquiry to her supervisor. So I guess it depends, as always, on who you speak to!

Hi @alcotaxprep, Did you ever get an update from the Efile Agent on masking a portion of the SIN number for the AuthRep document?

Thanks!

I did not.