Guarantee Fees for Segregated funds

I have a new client this year who holds segregated funds with Desjardin Insurance. She provided me with a letter from Desjardin that includes an amount of $1200 for “Guarantee Fees” and a note that says:

“You are allowed to deduct the guarantee fees paid during the life of your contract as a capital loss. These fees are only deductible in the year during which a guarantee payment is made or when the contract is fully redeemed.”

I got in touch her advisor at Desjardin who tells me the contract was redeemed in 2023 and thus these $1200 fees can be deducted. The client also has T3 slips from Desjardin with amounts totalling $1400 in capital losses but the advisor assures me that the $1200 is additional. There is no income (capital or otherwise) from these funds. I have never seen this before and have no idea where to put these fees on the tax return. Has anyone else had experience with segregated funds and guarantee fees?

Thanks!

If they say it’s a capital loss, I would put it on the S3. Sounds like it could be a kind of “outlay” (which normally increases the ACB). If the ACB was zero and the proceeds were zero, all you get is a capital loss equal to the outlay.