CEBA ($20,000.00 Forgiven amount)

An incorporated business received the CEBA loan in 2020 - $60,000.00

On the 2020 T2 the forgivable amount was inputted in S1:

• Box 605: CEBA Loan Forgiveness - ITA 12(1)(x)
  • Box 295: $20,000.00

In 2021 the business repaid $40,000.00 of the loan and the remaining $20,000.00 was forgiven.

What is the treatment for the $20,000.00 that still remains on the balance sheet?

$20k will be other income in the year in which $40K is returned back.

1 Like

What GIFI code would be used for other income on the T2?

Also, would the $20,000.00 get deducted on the 2021 T2 on S1 (since it was already an addition on the 2020 T2 on S1).

On the S1 there is box 705 and 395. What would be the description in 705 if so?

1 Like

The $20k should be added to income the year it was received.

2 Likes

Paragraph 12(1)(x) of the ITA includes any government assistance in income from a business or property if the assistance is otherwise not included in income. It is the CRA’s view that the forgivable portion of the CEBA is an amount that is described under subparagraph 12(1)(x)(iv). Accordingly, based on the value of the loan received, the total forgivable amount must be included in income in the year the loan is received by virtue of paragraph 12(1)(x). This income inclusion is required regardless of whether a loan is eventually forgiven, but an election and/or a deduction are potential remedies. For example, if a business receives the entire $60,000 CEBA loan in 2020 and subsequently repays the loan after December 31, 2022 (i.e., nothing is forgiven), the taxpayer must still include the $20,000 forgivable portion in income in 2020. However, if a taxpayer enjoys the loan forgiveness by repaying the loan in a subsequent year, there is no further obligation to include an amount in income since the income was recognized in a prior year.

Election to Reduce Income Inclusion

Although the forgivable portion of a CEBA loan is included in income in the year that the loan is received, a borrower can avoid this income inclusion by electing under subsection 12(2.2) of the ITA. The election can be made where a taxpayer receives an amount that would be included in income by virtue of paragraph 12(1)(x) in respect of an outlay or expense (other than an outlay or expense for the cost of property) that is incurred before the end of the following taxation year. These conditions would likely be met since the purpose of the CEBA is to provide borrowers with capital to pay their employees and other non-deferrable expenses. A taxpayer can elect under subsection 12(2.2) to reduce the amount of the expense by up to the amount of the CEBA loan that is otherwise included in income. As a result, the deductible expense is reduced by the elected amount and the income inclusion under paragraph 12(1)(x) is equally reduced.

2 Likes

I don’t have the reference for this at the tips of my fingers, but I am quite sure that the $20,000 should have been declared as income the year the loan was given not the year it was paid back. I put it with other income in 8242 Subsidies and Grants.

Raymond

1 Like

How we can make the rebate as an income unless the conditions are met. The condition is the repayment of $40K. If we take it as an income in the year of loan then what if the client is not able to payback $40K before the period?

2 Likes

If not repaid and the portion wasn’t forgiven, then you can make a deduction.
The Forgiveness portion needs to be included as income in the year that it was received.

2 Likes

To clarify:

• Taxpayer received the $60k loan in 2020
  • $20k forgivable portion was included in income in 2020 (T2 S1 box 295)

In the books - 2020:
DT CASH $60K
CT CEBA LOAN $60K

In the T2 - 2020
Income inclusion on the S1 for $20k

In the books - 2021 (they have paid back $40k of the loan)
DT CEBA $40K
CT CASH $40K

There is still $20k on the balance sheet of the CEBA loan (the forgiven amount).

What do we do with this forgiven amount in the accounting records?

The $20k would be recorded as Other Income on the Income Statement

Dr. CEBA Loan Payable $20,000
Cr. Other Income $20,000
(record CEBA loan forgiven amount)

1 Like

Either that, or I created a contra account just so the entire $60K matches with the loan balance.

1 Like

Ok, this journal entry makes sense.

Now the $20k will be reported as income on the 2021 T2 on S125.
However, this $20k was already claimed in 2020 as income on S1 in box 295 on the 2020 T2
-CEBA Loan Forgiveness - ITA 12(1)(x).

Should it be deducted on the S1 in box 395 on the 2021 T2 so the same $20k is not claimed as income twice?

If the $20,000 was recognized as income in 2020, then why on earth it went to Balance Sheet? Someone obviously double booked that part and needs to be rectified. Things will balance out once that double booking error is corrected.

1 Like

In 2020 the whole amount is still debt (on the balance sheet). However the CRA wanted the “potentially” forgiven amount to be recognized as income in the year the loan was received.
The “potentially” forgiven amount is not actually forgiven until all the criteria have been met including paying back $40,000.00 of the $60,000.00 within a certain time frame.

You can’t go both ways. It is against the very foundation of accounting. You either book the entire amount as debt on the BS or partial BS and remainder into income statement. I am not debating the validity of that $20,000 as income. I am saying whatever entries have been done at the time of recognition are wrong and need to be corrected. The only reason it is still outstanding on the account is because it was recorded incorrectly.

2 Likes

Unless you are using ASPE, I don’t see any benefit of the way you recorded the transaction.
But since it was done, I think maybe the best way to deal with it, is on the S125, you will recognize the $20,000 as income again, but on S1, include a deduction for $20,000 to offset the income inclusion on S125, so it won’t be taxed again.

And on your FS, then you can reverse the $60,000 debt with $40,000 repayment and $20,000 as income inclusion.

1 Like

I think is the best route at this point. What description would be best for box 705?

1 Like

Does no one remember? This issue was beaten to death a year ago.

4 Likes

@jhd.hemeon Can you please elaborate?

I don’t know if it was such a big issue, but there was confusion in the first couple months. I have clients with July and Sept year end. CRA wasn’t being very specific about the forgiven amount at the time, I called couple times in July and August 2020 because I thought it would have to be included in the income in the year it was received.

I guessed, lots of people were calling for the same issue, and by October, CRA confirmed it would had to include in income, and CPA issued a similar publication

2 Likes