Income paid to mentally challenged

Awesome! At least something good coming out of all these regulations :slight_smile:

Nezzer, I think that in your case the org has to put the employee on payroll as they apparently have an obligation to pay. In the case of the Bible camp, there is no commitment by the Bible camp that they will pay and there is no expectation of “pay” on the part of the volunteers in the terms of the contract signed by the volunteer. After the end of summer camp, the Board of the camp will decide, based on camp finances, how much they will gift to the volunteers. They have always based the amount of the gift on the level of education of the volunteer. A college student will normally receive more than a high school student.

And, as always, thanks Joe, for your educational posts. I look forward to reading them.

1 Like

[quote=“obhorst, post:5, topic:3496”]
it is a Bible Camp so they are actually volunteers that receive a gift from camp that honours the work they do without actually paying them a wage.

[quote=“obhorst, post:10, topic:3496”]
The honorarium that we pay are not from employment or office but for a voluntary position. They volunteer for a week or sometimes several weeks for a particular camp session. In that sense it is similar to the speakers that speak one time at a camp sessions.

One Bible camp provided a small stipend, $100/week, for cabin leaders which was processed through payroll. I don’t have the employment agreement but the Sunday start time and Friday debrief end time and a couple of hours off each day to shower and have personal time with God were all included.

After one summer, a cabin leader who had tracked ALL of her hours, went to labor standard who ruled in her favour for minimum wage, vacation pay, and holiday pay costing the camp thousands of dollars.

They changed the agreement so the employment period was reduced to just over 6 hours which would come to the $100 when applying minimum wage, vacation pay, and holiday pay.

It then added that the individual was also agreeing to volunteer their time for the remaining ~120 hours minus breaks.

1 Like

Ouch. They probably needed a better advisor.

I was NOT professionally connected to the Camp but knew their bookkeeper who shared the sad story.

Yes, if the person got honorarium is employee of company (school,etc), honorarium will be treated like salary or employment income. If for non employment, you can issue the T4A without hold any deduction.

" if the person got honorarium is employee of company "

The company is REQUIRED to issue a proper T4 (Box 14 employment income)…

So-called “honorariums” are required to be reported in Box 14 of a T4 (and also subject to CPP deductions/contributions).

totally agree