TaxCycle Learning Curve

Hi, Elizabeth …

I reverted back to the original template to create a very simply example showing a T1 invoiced at $100.00 with a 10% Discount Plus PST.

It took me a few minutes of playing, but I found the issue why you couldn’t reproduce my scenario. As long as I charged GST, the default template worked perfectly, properly subtotaling the discount line, or disbursement line, etc. No issues. I bet in your testing yesterday, you were charging GST.

My issue is that I’m a small Home Based business (mostly seasonal) and don’t make $30K per year, so I don’t charge GST. However, I do charge PST.

In the OPTIONS dialogue under Invoicing, there is NO option to only charge PST and NOT charge GST except by going under the PST section to SPECIFY RATE, and then set GST = $0.00.

And now you will be able to reproduce my issue. When GST = $0.00, the subtotals suddenly play tricks and disappear. Since most firms charge GST, they wouldn’t replicate my problem. What’s more, PST can be set to $0.00 and only charge GST, or charge NO TAX at all, and the templates work perfectly with no issue. The problem only exists if GST is set to $0.00.

Here’s what I’m seeing using the default template and only charging PST (in Manitoba):

Just for fun, if I add some disbursements (stamps, packaging material), now the discount line receives a subtotal, but the disbursement line has no subtotal.

My template repair corrects this.

I’m sure this bit of problem solving is helpful, Elizabeth. So easy in programming to miss testing a file condition for accuracy.

Gerry