Stat Pay And Holiday Pay

I am curious how the stat pay and holiday pay will work this year in Ontario. I have clients where the staff worked Saturday Sunday Monday and Tuesday.

I know XMAS (saturday) and BOXING DAY (sunday) they will get the 8 hours of stat pay each so its 16 hours of stat pay at normal pay.

But lets say an employee worked the following hours:

Saturday : 4 hours
Sunday : 5 hours
Monday : 6 hours
Tuesday: 7 hours

Do I need to pay 1.5 (pay and half) for all 4 of these days?

That’s what provincial employment standards sites are for. Every province has one explaining clearly what the laws are in that province for General Holiday Pay.

Not sure about Ontario, but Boxing Day is not a stat in BC. You should start by googling “stat holiday Ontario” to get a list of the dates.

Then, because the stats all fell on the weekend this year, days off were given on either Friday or Monday. Moot point if they worked the ACTUAL stat date.

Then read your Employment Standards very carefully - in BC working a stat gets you 2.5 time, not 1.5 (straight time for 8 plus 1.5 for working it)

Ontario boxing day is a st holiday, so 27, 28(Monday, Tuesday) are both st holidays.

It’s been a number of years since I had a staff payroll so I won’t comment on the details, but I think you should have a close look at the current rules for calculating stat holiday pay, lieu days etc., it tends to be a bit more complicated for any business where staff doesn’t work a perfectly regular schedule…

I think the CFIB page is quite a nice summary,

How to pay your employees for Christmas, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day | CFIB (cfib-fcei.ca)

and then there’s the gov’t link
Your guide to the Employment Standards Act: Public holidays | Ontario.ca

That is Ontario, here is Alberta - Statutory holidays in Alberta for 2021 and 2022

yes Look up the rules for Ontario stat. But its not just 8 hours.
The calculation here is actually pretty straightforward: take all of the wages earned (including vacation payable) by the employee in the 4 work weeks prior to the holiday, and divide the total by 20 . This will give you the amount you need to pay for the public holiday.