Missed filing taxes for the previous year

Hi forum,
I’m filing my taxes for the first time in Canada for 2022 and while doing that, a tax expert assisting asked me if I filed for 2021 and I didn’t.
A little backstory, I arrived Canada with my PR for the first time at the end of 2021, so I never worked here or had an income, just my partner who had been living here.

I don’t receive any benefits and since I arrived just a few days into the new year, I didn’t file for 2021.
Do I need to write a letter to the CRA to declare the reason for not filing for 2021 or is there a form to fill for instances like this?
I contacted the CRA but the agents I spoke to confused me even more.
Thanks in advance for your answers/ suggestions/ input on this.

Even if you are one day or two days in Canada and have a social insurance number in canada, you can file 2021 tax to qualified GST

2 Likes

Thanks for your response. I didn’t have my SIN until early January 2022. I’m mostly wondering if I still need to file for 2021 now, alongside my 2022.

I would to get the GST credits. Once you have the SIN it is retroactive as far as filing tax returns go.

2 Likes

Alright. That does make sense. Thank you!!

"and while doing that, a tax expert assisting asked me if I filed for 2021 and I didn’t.
A little backstory, I arrived Canada with my PR for the first time at the end of 2021, so I never worked here or had an income, just my partner who had been living here."

Apparently BOTH your and your partner’s tax filing obligations for both 2021 and now 2022 have been, and are on track to be, failing in meeting your legal tax filing obligations.

The “tax expert” whom you are paying to prepare your and your partner’s 2021 and 2022 tax returns will be insisting that you provide them with ALL of your details, including world-wide income, as applicable, to immigration matters.

Immigration and emigration tax returns are complex matters, and you will very likely need a professional accountant (ie a CPA) to assist you in getting your initial situation and your partner’s situation, fixed up.

1 Like